Russian cruiser Rurik (1906)
• Resin kit
• Photo-etched parts included
Available a full hull version
The Rurik was an armoured cruiser built for the Imperial Russian Navy in 1906.
She is unusual in that she was built by Vickers in Barrow in Furness, England. Laid down August 1905, launched 4 November 1906, completed July 1909. The Russian Navy was not usually a customer of British shipyards. She is named in honour of Rurik, the semi-legendary founder of ancient Russia.
Unlike her previous namesake, Rurik (1892), she has been described as one of the best armoured cruisers built, with advanced sprinkler protection for the magazines. She was designed by KA Tennison and AP Titov, and the contract was arranged by Basil Zaharoff. The ship had a prolonged work-up while defects were rectified.
There was a plan to build two more ships in Russia, but this was cancelled after the first battlecruiser, HMS Invincible, entered service.
The main armament consisted of four 10-inch (250 mm) guns in two turrets, and the secondary armament consisted of eight 8-inch (200 mm) guns in four twin turrets located at the corners of the superstructure. These guns were built by Vickers. The anti-torpedo boat armament comprised twenty 120 mm guns in casemates. There were also four 1.85-inch (47 mm) guns and two 18-inch (460 mm) torpedo tubes.
Gunnery trials revealed that the fastenings on the 10-inch (250 mm) and 8-inch (200 mm) barbettes were insufficiently strong and were deformed during firing. Vickers were forced to reinforce the turrets. The work was done in Kronstadt after delivery.
All plate was Krupp armour made by Vickers. The 254 mm turrets were protected by 8-inch (200 mm) plate, and the 203 mm turrets were protected by 7-inch (180 mm) plate. The main belt was 500 feet (150 m) long and extended to 5 feet (1.5 m) below mean water line. There was also an upper belt, 3 inches (76 mm) thick, which extended to the 120 mm gun battery. Each 120 mm gun had 1-inch (25 mm) armour screens and was separated by 1-inch armour from neighbouring guns. The forward conning tower was protected by 8-inch (200 mm) armour, and the after conning tower was protected by 5-inch (130 mm) armour.
FREE WORLDWIDE SHIPPING!!!